“To be globally competitive in production and marketing of sugar and other products”.
“To efficiently, innovatively and sustainably produce and market sugar and other products in a clean and safe environment to the satisfaction of all stakeholders”.
Our Mandate is:
- To Manufacture sugar and co-products from sugarcane
- To establish and manage sugarcane plantations and assist others do so.
Arising from NSC Mandate, our core functions are:-
- Cane Processing
- Marketing of the sugar and other products
- Resource Management
- Cane Harvesting
- Cane Development
The guiding principles in the operations of the company are:
- Customer Focus – we are committed to working hard to attain the highest standards
- Integrity – We are committed to acting in a honest, impartial, fair and transparent manner guided by professional ethics.
- Team Work & Mutual Respect – We adopt a participatory approach and work together at all levels while treating all who we interact with while conducting our business with dignity and courtesy.
- Commitment & Hard Work – We work hard and commit ourselves to attain the highest standards in our service delivery to all our stakeholders to their satisfaction.
- Innovation and creativity - We are committed to continuous learning and improvement in our business process.
- Professionalism –We are committed to observe professional ethics and relationship with others.
The company has undergone four (4) changes in management since inception. The company was under the management of FCB &Technisure between 7th October 1975 to 3rd January 1978, when the management changed hands to the Government of Kenya, which remained at the helm of the company up to 11th January 1999. Between 12 January 1999 and 31 August 2003, the company was managed by F.C. Schaffer & Associates from whom the management reverted back to the Government of Kenya, which is in charge to date.
The company had an initial milling capacity of 2000 tones of cane per day (TCD). In 1989, this capacity was expanded to 3000 TCD. While this growth was phenomenal, optimum utilization was not realized due to plant operational limitations. The company however has to attain optimum utilization of the factory capacity at 3000 TCD and 315 tones of sugar per day by undertaking factory rehabilitation and product diversification to enable the company remain competitive and also attractive for privatization. The company further intends to enhance the factory capacity to 7000 TCD and 735 Tones of Sugar per day during the current Strategic Plan period.
KEY FOCUS AREAS
NSC focuses on effective performance as part of the market leaders in the sugar industry by addressing the following thematic areas.
a) Factory modernization and rehabilitation;
b) Financial Management;
c) Capacity Building;
d) Cane Development;
e) Marketing and value addition;
f) Environmental Management;
h) Corporate image.